Welcome to New Student Orientation
Welcome to the University of Utah
and the College of Education!
Congratulations on your admission to the University of Utah! We're excited to welcome you to the College of Education!
Whether you are an incoming freshman or a transfer student, this site is designed to help guide and answer questions as you navigate your way through the University of Utah and College of Education New Student Orientation process.
Meet our aDVISORS
Our academic advisors are here to help guide you through the College of Education Licensure Programs. They are an incredible resource for you to meet, ask questions, and get in touch with resources that are meant to help you through your time at the University of Utah.
Department of Special Education
Sara Hatch Southwick
Urban Institute for Teacher Education
These modules will help you learn about the University of Utah, the College of Education and resources that are available to you.
There are three steps to completing your New Student Orientation at the University of Utah.
- Complete your Freshman or Transfer Student Orientation Modules on Canvas.
- Complete your College of Education Modules on Canvas.
- Schedule your Academic Advising appointment with your College of Education Advisor.
The tabs on the left will help guide you in the process. Please click on each one to ensure that you complete these in the correct order.
The timeline below should help guide you in completing your New Student Orientation steps. Please use this resource to help you remain on track and complete your Orientation modules on time.
College of Education general questions.
- Go to www.utah.gov/teachers
- Select “Background Check” application and follow the prompts.
- Select “Initial Licensure” and “Live Scan” method for the fingerprinting process.
- Your forms will be emailed to you. Print this form and take it with you to BCI – Bureau of Criminal Identification 3888 West 5400 South, Taylorsville, Utah 84118, 801-965-4445. Hours: Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm. Your results will not be sent to USBE if you do not take this form with you to BCI.
- A fee $15 must be paid at BCI to complete your fingerprinting.
- Your Background check is good for five years.
- Background check status will be recorded by the UITE at the University of Utah and instructors in future field-based classes will be made aware of your clearance status so that you do not have to complete the check more than once within a three year period.
- IMPORTANT: You only have 60 days from the time you log into the USBE system to take your form to the BCI site and get your prints taken. If you do not complete the process within the 60 day time limit, you will be taken out of the USBE system and will have to repay both fees.
- If a student does not pass the background check, they cannot complete the field requirements of field practicum courses.
More Information can be found here.
A teacher education license program could take anywhere from 4 to 5 years depending upon credit hours and specific program requirements. For more information please schedule an appointment with one of our advisors.
The PRAXIS test series is a set of validated assessments that provides information for use by state education agencies in making licensing decisions. PRAXIS exams are required in Utah, and in most other states, for teacher licensure. Each state selects its own tests within the PRAXIS series and sets its own minimum score requirements for specific licensure endorsements. An updated list of the tests for which Utah has set a minimum score is provided on the ETS Website.
We recommend that you complete the ETS practice Praxis exam at the ETS Website.
Yes. We recommend you complete your licensure program through the University of Utah and get recommended for your Utah License application through the Utah State Board of Education (USBE). Once you've received your Utah license, you will then need to contact the state in which you would like to work and complete your license transfer process with that state.
Transferred credits depend on your prior institution, for more information about transfer credits see Transferology. You are always welcome to meet with our advisors to discuss your specific situation.
Your Orientation advising will be completed as a group as many of you will have similar questions or you may find answers to questions that you didn't know you had. This way you are involving yourself in the College of Education community.
Dates for advising are listed in the College of Education Canvas Course.
If you need to schedule an additional appointment after you have completed your Orientation advising, please use the links below to schedule that appointment.
Your virtual advising appointment will depend on the type of appointment that you select.
Students completing Orientation should go to the department website for the program that they intend to complete and select either the College of Education Orientation-Freshman or College of Education-Transfer depending upon what type of Orientation session you are attending.
This advising appointment will go over any additional questions you have about the program and help you decide classes to register for in your first semester at the University of Utah. Viewing the program packets and completing all of your Orientation Modules to learn more about the programs is strongly recommended prior to your advising appointment.
Conexed is the online advising appointment scheduler and video appointment platform that the University of Utah uses. Students request an appointment on the websites below and request the appropriate appointment to meet their needs. Please select all of the appropriate reasons for the advising appointment. Advising at this time is available online. All appointments will either be phone or video appointments.
Once a student schedules an appointment, they are sent an email to the email that they used to schedule an appointment confirming the scheduled date and time. They receive a reminder email 15 minutes prior to the appointment. If students need to cancel the appointment, they are encouraged to use the link in the email confirmation to cancel appointment 24 hours in advance if possible.