Early Childhood K- 3


The UITE and Department of Family & Consumer Studies offer an early childhood K-3 interdisciplinary bachelor's degree program granted through the College of Social & Behavioral Science. Students may choose to complete a Bachelor's of Arts or Bachelor's of Science. Students will be declared as Family, Community, and Human Development majors but will have some of their major coursework completed through the College of Education. Students pursuing K-3 licensure must apply to the UITE Licensure Programs by February 1 of the year that they intend to complete their licensure year to gain acceptance to the UITE Licensure Programs to complete licensure coursework.

The University of Utah’s Early Childhood K-3 licensure program prepares teachers for grades K-3. Students who complete the FCS program with UITE Licensure, including licensure exams, have a cleared Utah State Board of Education (USBE) background check and all other licensure requirements will be recommended to the USBE for a Utah Professional Early Childhood teaching license. This license will only allow students to teach in grades K-3 in an elementary school.

For information regarding Praxis Performance Assessment for Teachers (PPAT) and Foundations of Reading Assessment as required by the USBE for licensure recommendation please see the Teacher Candidate Handbook, your program summary or contact UITE Advising.

Students are reminded that Praxis II is required to meet program admission requirements. If you have questions regarding Praxis II please see UITE Advising.

Why Early Childhood Education (K-3)?

children coloring



Investing in Early Childhood Teacher Education Pays Off

FCS Professor Cheryl Wright and Clinical Instructor Trish Saccamano along with Dale Smith, Associate Dean of Education, Family and Human Studies ast SLCC commented on the benefits of a strong early childhood development and education background for preschool and K-3 teachers.






K-3 Early Childhood Education with K-3 Licensure


The University of Utah does not have a Graduate Early Childhood K-3 Licensure Program available. Students intending to pursue a M.Ed and licensure will need to complete an M.Ed and K-6 licensure program through the UITE and College of Education.

For more information please go to UITE Graduate Programs.

If you are interested in the program, please contact:

UITE Advisor
Sara Hatch Southwick
SAEC 2264