BACKGROUND CHECK PROCEDURE
In order to participate in any field-based course in the teaching licensure programs, students must pass a State and Federal background check through the Utah State Board of Education (USBE). Students must complete the background check prior to the first course meeting. Failure to do so may jeopardize your ability to complete course requirements and receive a grade in this course.
Please note that students should complete the physical fingerprinting at the Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI), not school district offices or the University Campus Police. School district offices may not complete the full state and federal checks required and may not send them to the USBE. University Campus Police is not on the list of approved locations available to complete the check. All checks must be verified with the USBE, we will not accept any checks from outside entities.
To initiate the background check process (complete the online portion):
1. Begin the Process. Go to www.utah.gov/teachers Background Check and then Start your Background Check.
3. Licensing Procedure. Select Initial Licensure.
4. User Authentication.
5. Record Not Found. If you have not completed a background check with the USBE, a warning will show stating that they were unable to find a record for you in CACTUS. This is expected. If you are renewing your background check if it has expired, this screen may not display. Click continue.
6. Create New Record. Please complete all of the fields. Please ensure that you answer the Institution drop down question, indicating the University of Utah as the institution that you are attending. This will help ensure the University receives your background check clearance information. If you do not complete this, the University will not be notified when your check clears. Then click continue.
7. Verify New Record.
8. Fingerprint Method. Please note that if you live in Utah, you will be expected to complete the LiveScan method for the physical fingerprinting. If you live out of state, you may complete the fingerprint cards. Please see information below regarding out of state completion. Click Continue.
Students should note that at this time, the BCI requires that students schedule an appointment to complete the LiveScan. To schedule your appointment and check safety precautions, please go to: https://bci.utah.gov/fingerprint-and-photo-services-for-the-public/
9. Fingerprint Release.
10. FBI Privacy Statement Agreement.
11. Additional Statements.
12. Purpose of Check. Please select the second option: “Enrolling in a University Program that will result in a Utah Educator License (student license)”. Click continue.
13. Transaction Successfully Completed.
If you selected the LiveScan process:
Your forms will be emailed to the address that you supplied when you created a new record. If you do not receive these forms within 24 hours of completing the online form, please notify the Urban Institute for Teacher Education at 801-581-7158 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure that you check your junk mail as it may be sent there.
Please print the forms and take them with you to the BCI to complete the physical fingerprinting. These forms are required to have the check sent to the USBE and to the University of Utah. If the forms are not brought with you, neither the USBE nor the University of Utah will be notified that your check has cleared. This may delay your clearance and/or result in needing to complete a new check.
The BCI is located at 3888 West 5400 South, Taylorsville, Utah 84118, 801-965-4445. Hours: Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm.
A fee $15 must be paid at BCI to complete your fingerprinting. Students are reminded that at this time an appointment is required to be scheduled prior to arriving at the BCI. Please go to https://bci.utah.gov/fingerprint-and-photo-services-for-the-public/ to make the appointment.
If you selected the fingerprint cards:
The fingerprint cards can take 14 weeks to process once you send them in. No authorization will be emailed to you. Instead a release form and authorized fingerprint cards will be mailed to you to take to local law enforcement to complete. You will need to mail them back to the BCI to process.
Important information to complete a full check:
You must list the University of Utah as the Institution you are attending when you complete the online portion of the background check procedure.
Your Background check is good for five years and will be continuously monitored for continued clearance.
Background check status will be recorded by the UITE at the University of Utah and instructors in future field-based classes will be made aware of your clearance status so that you do not have to complete the check more than once within a five year period.
IMPORTANT: You only have 60 days from the time you log into the USBE system to take your form to the BCI site and get your prints taken. If you do not complete the process within the 60 day time limit, you will be taken out of the USBE system and will have to repay both fees. We strongly encourage you to complete this process as soon as possible to prevent delays in clearances which may delay enrollment in some classes.
If a student does not pass the background check, they cannot complete the field requirements of field practicum courses.
Please follow the directions as listed above.
Students should note that background checks that cannot be verified by the Utah State Board of Education’s database will not be accepted.
Permission Code Request Forms
Please complete a permission code request form for the corresponding course that you are interested in. Permission codes will be distributed after completion of the form. Please allow 48 hours for a response (There will not be an immediate response to completing the form). Permission codes will be sent to the students umail address.
Permission CodeS FOR ECS, MATH and Special education
Please click on the link to the courses that you need to request a permission code. Complete a permission code request form on that departments website. Permission codes will be sent to the students umail address.
Please note, UITE does not issue permission codes for these classes and you will need to work with the appropriate departments to ensure that you have met prerequisite requirements if applicable.