BACKGROUND CHECK PROCEDURE
ALL STUDENTS PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION PRIOR TO BEGINNING THE BACKGROUND CHECK PROCESS OR REQUESTING A PERMISSION CODE.
If this process isn't followed correctly you may have to complete the background check process again and repay all associated fees, delaying your enrollment in class.
All students must have a cleared background check to receive a permission code. There is still plenty of room available in these classes. No student is permitted in the class without a verified USBE background check and a permission code.
In order to participate in any field-based course in the teaching licensure programs, students must pass a State and Federal background check through the Utah State Board of Education (USBE). Students must complete the background check prior to the first-course meeting. Failure to do so may jeopardize your ability to complete course requirements and receive a grade in field-based courses.
Please note that students should complete the physical fingerprinting at the locations listed on the paperwork sent to you from the USBE or on our website. No other locations will be accepted. Note that the University Campus Police does not meet this requirement as it is not on the listed locations. Students should note the YUP or BCI locations are the preferred locations than school district buildings. To ensure that your physical fingerprinting is reported back to the USBE you must take the paperwork that is sent to you from the USBE with you when you complete your physical fingerprinting. If you do not take this paperwork with you, your check will not be sent to the USBE and we cannot accept it. All checks must be verified with the USBE, we will not accept any background checks from outside entities.
To verify that your background check is on record with the USBE, locate your CACTUS Number, and provide proof of your USBE Background Check for permission codes, please follow the directions found here. Public Health or Child Care Licensing background checks will not be accepted as they are not on record with the USBE.
If your background check is not on record, you will be required to complete the USBE Background Check directions found below. Note that these are step-by-step directions and students are strongly encouraged to use them to successfully complete the USBE Background Check process correctly and accurately.
Students should note the following to successfully complete a USBE Background Check. Students must complete both steps listed below to complete the USBE Background Check. Only completing the online portion will not complete the USBE Background Check.
step one: initiate the background check process (complete the online portion):
1. Begin the Process. Go to www.utah.gov/teachers Background Check and then Start your Background Check.
3. Licensing Procedure. Select Initial Licensure and then select Continue.
4. User Authentication. Enter in your social security number and your birthdate, double check this information is correct. This information will be used to verify your identity. If it is not correct, your background check may be delayed or unable to be processed. Then select Continue.
5. Record Not Found. If you have not completed a background check with the USBE, a warning will show stating that they were unable to find a record for you in CACTUS. This is expected. If you are renewing your background check if it has expired, this screen may not display. Click continue.
6. Create New Record. Please complete all of the fields. Please ensure that you answer the Institution drop down question, indicating the University of Utah as the institution that you are attending. This will help ensure the University receives your background check clearance information. If you do not complete this, the University will not be notified when your check clears. Then click continue.
7. Verify New Record. Please verify that all information is accurate including your email address. Make note of this email address as this is the address that your fingerprint paperwork will go to. Checkmark the box and click Continue.
8. Contact Information. Please review the information and edit the information as necessary. Please note that if you change the email address, your fingerprint information will go to the updated email address.
9. Fingerprint Method. Please note that if you live in Utah, you will be expected to complete the LiveScan method for the physical fingerprinting. If you live out of state, you may complete the fingerprint cards. Please see the important information below regarding out of state completion. Click Continue.
Students should note that at this time, both the BCI and YUP locations requires that students schedule an appointment to complete the LiveScan. Please see the information below regarding those locations and scheduling an appointment. If you go to one of the other locations on the list please contact the location prior to going to the location for rules, regulations and if you need to schedule an appointment, do not just show up at a location. You must take your paperwork that is emailed to you from the USBE with you when you go to complete the physical fingerprinting no matter what location you go to complete it.
Students should note that if they are out of state and choose card submission it may take 14 weeks to process and may delay receiving a permission code for a course. If you complete this too late, you may not receive a permission code for a course before registration closes for the semester. It is recommended that if students are not physically in Utah before December 1 those students should not plan to register for a field practicum for the fall semester. Students are expected to plan their fingerprinting and field practicum course selection appropriately to accommodate the background check process.
10. Fingerprint Release. Read, type Yes in the box and select Continue.
11. FBI Privacy Statement Agreement. Review, type Yes and select Continue.
12. Additional Statements. Read the options carefully and select the appropriate statement. Most students will select No. Then select the box and Continue.
13. Purpose of Check. Please select the second option: “Enrolling in a University Program that will result in a Utah Educator License (student license)”. Select continue.
14. Transaction Successfully Completed. Note that it may take 24 hours to receive your paperwork at the email address that you listed when you completed this portion of the background check. Do not submit another request unless directed to by the UITE.
Students should proceed to step 2 of the Background Check, the physical fingerprinting portion.
STEP TWO: complete the physical fingerprinting:
All students will need to complete Step Two of the background check process. Please use the information below to complete this process. Students should note that only completing the online portion does not complete the process and you will not have a cleared USBE Background Check.
If you selected the LiveScan process:
Your forms will be emailed to the address that you supplied when you created a new record. If you do not receive these forms within 24 hours of completing the online form, please contact Kristen Lindsay, email@example.com with the date that you completed the online portion and that you haven't yet received the paperwork. We can then contact the USBE on your behalf to have the paperwork sent to you. Note that the UITE does not have access to this paperwork and cannot send it to you.
The email will come from firstname.lastname@example.org have Utah Educator Background Check in the subject line and will have the paperwork attached to the email as a PDF. Please be sure that you check your junk mail as it may be sent there. Please note, this email will be sent to the address that you listed when you completed Step One.
Please print the forms that the USBE sends you and take them with you to either the BCI or the YUP locations to complete the physical fingerprinting. These forms are required to have the check sent to the USBE and to the University of Utah. If the forms are not brought with you, neither the USBE nor the University of Utah will be notified that your check has cleared. Do not get your physical fingerprinting completed without this paperwork. Without the paperwork, your clearance may be delayed and/or result in needing to complete a new check, pay all associated fees with the new check, and may delay receiving a permission code for a field practicum course.
Your Unique Prints (YUP) Fingerprinting - Recommended location.
YUP Fingerprinting has several locations in Utah. Please choose the one closest to you if you choose to complete your physical fingerprinting at that location. Please go to the YUP website to schedule your appointment. Students who choose the YUP Fingerprinting should use the following information when scheduling their appointment:
- After choosing your location, select Direct Submission/LiveScan for your fingerprinting option. Ensure that you have the PDF paperwork that was emailed to you when you go to complete your fingerprinting. If you do not take your paperwork, you will have to complete the physical fingerprinting again and repay all associated fees-delaying your background check clearance.
- The fee at YUP for your physical fingerprinting is $21.00.
- YUP often has next day appointments available for you to choose from.
1133 N Main St. #127
Layton, UT 84041
Mon. to Fri.
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
394 W. Main St. #103
Lehi, UT 84043
Monday to Friday
9:00 am - 4:20 pm
95 W 100 S #104
Logan, UT 84321
Monday to Thursday
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
231 E 400 S #350
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Monday to Friday
9:00 am - 4:20 pm
1240 E 100 S, Bldg 23 Ste. 202J
St George, UT 84790
Mon. to Fri.
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) Fingerprinting
Students who decide to use the BCI for their physical fingerprinting should be aware of the following information.
- You must schedule an appointment with the BCI. Please go to https://bci.utah.gov/fingerprint-and-photo-services-for-the-public/ to make the appointment.
- The fee at the BCI is $15.00.
- Your appointment with the BCI may be a few weeks away. They do not often have appointments available within the week.
The BCI is located at 3888 West 5400 South, Taylorsville, Utah 84118, 801-965-4445. Hours: Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm.
Other locations on the USBE paperwork, will have fees of their own. Students are encouraged to use either the BCI or YUP for their physical fingerprinting. Students are encouraged to ensure that if they use a school district office that the background check is forwarded to the USBE by having their paperwork with them. These offices do not always automatically do this and you may have to do a new background check.
If you selected the fingerprint cards:
The fingerprint cards can take 14 weeks to process once you send them in. No authorization will be emailed to you. Instead, a release form and authorized fingerprint cards will be emailed for you to take to local law enforcement to complete. You will need to mail them back to the address listed on your fingerprint cards to process. Please note, this option should only be used for students who do not plan to complete fieldwork in the following academic semester due to the time it takes to complete this process.
Students should note that if they are out of state and choose card submission it may take 14 weeks to process and may delay receiving a permission code for a course. If you complete this too late, you may not receive a permission code for a course before registration closes for the semester. Students are expected to plan their fingerprinting and field practicum course selection appropriately to accommodate the background check process. Students should not plan to complete fieldwork in the following academic semester due to the time it takes to complete this process.
It is recommended that students physically be in Utah by December 1 to complete the physical fingerprinting to register for field practicum classes for Spring 2022. Example: Student requests to complete the fingerprint cards during fall 2021 should not register or request permission codes for the spring 2022 semester as your background check will not clear in time for registration.
Important information to complete a full check:
You must list the University of Utah as the Institution you are attending when you complete the online portion of the background check procedure.
Your USBE Background Check is valid for five years, provided nothing occurs to invalidate it. The background check will be continuously monitored for continued clearance.
Background check status will be recorded by the UITE at the University of Utah and instructors in future field-based classes will be made aware of your clearance status so that you do not have to complete the check more than once within a five-year period.
IMPORTANT: You have one year from the time you log into the USBE system to take your form to the BCI or YUP site and get your prints taken. If you do not complete the process within the time limit, you will be taken out of the USBE system and will have to repay all fees. We strongly encourage you to complete this process as soon as possible to prevent delays in clearances which may delay enrollment in some classes.
If a student does not pass the background check, they cannot complete the field requirements of field practicum courses.
Please follow the directions listed above.
Students should note that background checks that cannot be verified by the USBE's database will not be accepted, with no exceptions. If you have completed a check for a different UT state department you can verify your background check status with the USBE. If there isn't a background check on record for you on CACTUS, then you will need to complete a new one using the process above.
If you need to verify if the USBE has a background check on record for you, please access your CACTUS account.
Permission Code Request Forms
Please go to Permission Code Request Forms to request a permission code for any EDU course. Links are also available to permission forms for Special Education, Education, Culture and Society 5645 & 5647, FA 4000, and Math permission codes.