University graduates from teaching, social work, speech and language pathology, counseling, and higher education will complete the licensing process through this office at the University of Utah. There are no fees associated with the licensing process through the university. We complete recommendations for those completing initial licenses, second licenses, and endorsement additions to current licenses. For further licensing information for the state of Utah please refer to the following link USBE Licensing
Teacher Candidates at the University of Utah are expected to comply with Utah State Board of Education requirements for performance assessment. The University of Utah uses the Praxis Performance Assessment for Teachers (PPAT) as a criterion for licensure recommendations. Please see https://www.ets.org/ppa/test-takers/teachers/about as well as program handbooks for more information.
Process and Timeline
In order to be recommended for a license to the Utah State Board of Education (USBE), the following criteria must be met.
- Student must complete a University of Utah licensure program and have degree posted. Degrees may take 4-6 weeks to post after end of term.
- Student must have a current Federal Background check with the state of Utah. Further information on background checks can be found here.
- Complete professional application form (include all praxis scores and any other required documentation)
- Depending on your program, you may complete this with your advisor before graduation.
- Once you have submitted your recommendation, your Academic Advisor will complete the advisor section and submit to the licensing coordinator (i.e., Kimberly Pickens firstname.lastname@example.org). The advisor section may take up to 3 weeks to complete depending upon the number of licenses to be processed.
- The Licensing Coordinator will review and submit applications to the USBE. The submission process may take up to 2 weeks depending upon the number of licenses to be processed.
- Once your license recommendation has been submitted you will receive an email with information and instructions on how you will receive your license.
- If there are delays, you will be notified by the coordinator.
Please be aware of processing timelines:
- Licenses on average can take up to 5 weeks to be processed by the University of Utah.
- Second Licenses and endorsements can take an additional 6 weeks to be processed by the state.