ELEMENTARY honors program
Our Honors Program is designed to provide an enriched academic experience for talented and highly motivated elementary education majors. It offers rewarding experiences such as smaller class sizes and opportunities to engage in educational research. The program also gives students the opportunity to participate in the many unique and rewarding offerings of the University of Utah's Honors College.
Students successfully completing the Honors Program will graduate from the university with a B.S. in Elementary Education with University and Department Honors.
Note: For students who are already part of the University Honors College, our Honors Program provides additional opportunities for you to complete your University Honors degree with classes and experiences in your major.
The departmental honors track provides access to small challenging courses and in-depth research experience, culminating in a year-long honors thesis project. Honors students may also take other classes offered through the Honors College and are eligible for Honors College scholarships and other events.
The Elementary Education honors thesis provides our students with the following opportunities:
- Opportunity to investigate a topic of interest and importance in depth
- Opportunity to work closely with a faculty member
- Opportunity to show potential employers and admissions committees that you have a sustained commitment to a line of inquiry and a finished product to present
- Opportunity to earn formal departmental honors in psychology on your transcript
- Opportunities to present your work at university conferences and beyond
Elementary Honors FAQ
If you are interested in the program, please contact Mary D. Burbank, Assistant Dean and Director, College of Education
Elementary Education Honors Program Advisor
Mary D. Burbank