The University of Utah Reading Clinic (UURC) offers students the opportunity to complete their field practicum work for the Reading Methods classes in the summer. All students should note that they should either have already taken or be concurrently enrolled in the Reading Methods class, ED PS 5315: Reading Methods I: K-6 Foundational Skills, Phonics, Word Study and Fluency, to participate in the UURC class. This option is only available in the summer. Students needing to complete EDU 5316 or EDU 5321 in either fall or spring semesters will still need to register using the UITE Permission Code form and CIS.
Students wanting to participate in EDU 5316 for summer 2022: Should ensure that they have a valid USBE background check by checking their CACTUS account.
Students wanting to enroll in EDU 5316 for fall 2022: Should ensure that they have a valid USBE background check by checking their CACTUS account. Permission Code request forms for fall 2022 are available at: https://uite.utah.edu/students/permissioncodes/
Please ensure that you have concurrently enrolled for summer 2022 or already taken and passed ED PS 5315. Please follow the directions below to enroll.
- Please go to https://uurc.utah.edu/.
- Click on UURC Coursework tab on the left hand side of the screen, it is gray.
- Click on Course Registration.
- Click on Next Steps Model (this is EDU 5316).
- Please ensure that you read everything on this page as vital information is given (i.e. training and course dates, registration, etc).
- When you are ready to register, please select EDU 6/5632-030. This is the equivalent of EDU 5316. The course is credit/no credit just as EDU 5316 is. Do not register for EDU 5632-040.
- Ensure that you have completed the USBE background check. If you don’t know if you’ve completed one, please go to the CACTUS website. If you are unsure if yours is still clear once you have checked the CACTUS website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Students should remember that USBE background checks are valid for 5 years pending nothing occurring to invalidate a check.
- To register please complete the form at the bottom of the page and make sure that you click on: I am taking this course to fulfill a reading methods practicum requirement. This will ensure that you register for the correct section.
- All students should note that payment for the course is due upon registration. Payment for the class is paid directly to UURC and is not part of your University of Utah tuition bill that you receive from Accounts Payable.
- Payments for the course can be made at the UURC Shopping Cart. Questions regarding payment should be sent to email@example.com.
All students should note the following information. It is expected that you are aware of it:
Your attendance is of the utmost importance because the UURC has recruited struggling readers to work with you every day. If you are absent, the child does not receive intervention.
Participants must be present for all training days (June 8, 9, and 10), the last 2 days of clinic (June 30 and July 1), and may not miss more than a total of 2 clinic sessions. No exceptions!
Participants who do not meet these attendance requirements will not receive credit for the course.
To cancel your reservation, notify Michele Blake as soon as possible.
If you cancel your reservation on or before May 24, 2022, a $50 processing fee will be deducted from your refund.
If you cancel between May 25 and May 31, 2022, a $200 processing fee will be deducted from your refund.
If you cancel on or after June 1, 2022, you will not receive a refund.
Dates & Times:
Training: June 8, 9, 10 (8 am – 11:30 am)
Clinic: June 13 – July 1, Mondays through Fridays, 8 am – 11:30 am
Meetings/tutoring will be held through Zoom.
Michele Blake (801-265-3951, Michele.Blake@utah.edu)
Note: Each participant will need to prepare materials that must be brought to the first and all subsequent sessions. See course syllabus for details.