World Languages Master's of Arts with Secondary Licensure
Students must apply to the WLMA program first through the Department of Languages & Literature. Please refer to the WLMA website for application procedure and deadlines (usually in January). Once admitted to the Department of languages & Literature, students must apply to the Urban Institute for Teacher Education to be admitted to the licensure program. Applications to the UITE are due Feb 1st following the first semester admitted to the Languages & Literature Department. Please submit all application materials in one manila envelope or manila folder. Details of each requirement are described in the program summary.
APPLICATION CHECKLIST & MATERIALS:
1. Transcripts: Copies of all transcripts from the U of U and any other colleges or universities. Note: We require a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
2. Letters of Recommendation: at least two letters of recommendation addressing your ability to complete graduate work.
The remaining admissions materials should be submitted directly to the UITE by the applicant:
2. Statement of Professional Purpose (2-3 pages): Submit a statement informing the Admissions Committee of your strengths as a candidate in the teacher education program at the University of Utah. Your essay should include a demonstration of your ability to think deeply about and analyze contemporary educational issues related to work in urban communities that aligns with the mission of the UITE. Your discussion should also address your commitment to the teaching profession with a specific emphasis on how you will contribute to urban schools as a future educator.
3. Teaching & Working with Youth Letter of Recommendation.
4. Content Area Sign-off Forms (optional): If you are pursuing licensure in additional content areas, other than foreign languages, you must submit a teaching major or teaching minor sign-off form.
5. Cleared Background Check: Completed through the Utah State Board of Education.