World Languages Master's of Arts with Secondary Licensure
Students must apply to the WLMA program first through the Department of Languages & Literature. Please refer to the WLMA website for application procedure and deadlines (usually in January). Once admitted to the Department of languages & Literature, students must apply to the Urban Institute for Teacher Education to be admitted to the licensure program. Applications to the UITE are due Feb 1st following the first semester admitted to the Languages & Literature Department. Please submit all application materials in one manila envelope or manila folder. Details of each requirement are described in the program summary.
APPLICATION CHECKLIST & MATERIALS:
1. Transcripts: Copies of all transcripts from the U of U and any other colleges or universities. Note: We require a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. High School transcripts are not accepted.
2. Letters of Recommendation: at least two letters of recommendation addressing your ability to complete graduate work.
The remaining admissions materials should be submitted directly to the UITE by the applicant:
2. Statement of Professional Purpose (2-3 pages): Submit a statement informing the Admissions Committee of your strengths as a candidate in the teacher education program at the University of Utah. Your essay should include a demonstration of your ability to think deeply about and analyze contemporary educational issues related to work in urban communities that aligns with the mission of the UITE. Your discussion should also address your commitment to the teaching profession with a specific emphasis on how you will contribute to urban schools as a future educator.
Students are recommended to use the Teacher Education Workshop Series: Statement of Professional Purpose to help them write their statement.
3. Teaching & Working with Youth Letter of Recommendation. Students should enter the recommender's name and the firstname.lastname@example.org email address for the other two letters of recommendation. We will receive these from the WLC advisors from your application to that program.
4. Content Area Sign-off Forms (optional): If you are pursuing licensure in additional content areas, other than foreign languages, you must submit a teaching major or teaching minor sign-off form.
5. Praxis II: Students should submit a blank document to take the place of the Praxis Score Requirement unless you have already taken and passed the Praxis II in your language. If you have taken and passed that exam, please upload the full three page score report. Note that the Praxis II in your language is not required for admission to the UITE licensure programs for WLMA students. However, it will be required to begin your licensure year and to be recommended your teaching license.
6. Cleared Background Check: Completed through the Utah State Board of Education.
If your background check has expired, it must be renewed in order for you to apply to the program. Students should submit their CACTUS Screenshot for USBE Background Check verification.