Candidates for the Secondary Teacher Licensure program are admitted on a rolling admissions basis. Complete files are reviewed monthly. Students may apply up to three years prior to the Licensure Year of the program. Complete application packets must be received no later than February 1st prior to the anticipated licensure year (i.e. if you plan to start the licensure year in Fall 2017, your application packet must be submitted no later than February 1st, 2017). Students are encouraged to apply early.
Please review the scheduling options for your licensing/student teaching year - Schedule
Please submit all application materials on one sealed envelope. Details of each requirement are described in the program summary.
- Application for Admission to Teacher Licensure Programs
You may type directly onto this form online and print it for submission.
- Statement of Professional Purpose (no more than two pages).
- Current and official transcriptfrom the University of Utah.
- Current and official transcripts from all other colleges and universities previously attended.
- Copy of your current class schedule. You may print this out from the Campus information System.
- Full score report (3 pages) of the Praxis I Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading, Writing, and Math.
- Three letters of recommendation, one each area: Academic, Professional, Teaching & Working with Youth.
- Departmental Major/Minor Sign-off forms.
- Verify that your Background Check through the Utah State Office of Education is still active. If your background check has expired, it must be renewed in order for you to apply to the program.
Due to the competitive nature of our programs, meeting minimum admission standards does not guarantee acceptance. Preference will be given to students who will teach in areas of greatest need, and those with a teaching minor in addition to their teaching major.