In order to participate in any field-based course in the teaching licensure programs, students must pass a State and Federal background check through the Utah State Board of Education. Students must have completed the background check prior to the first course meeting. Failure to do so may jeopardize your ability to complete course requirements and receive a grade in this course.
To initiate the background check process:
1. Go to www.utah.gov/teachers
2. Select “Background Check” application and follow the prompts.
3. Select “Initial Licensure” and “Live Scan” method for the fingerprinting process.
4. Your forms will be emailed to you. Print this form and take it with you to BCI – Bureau of Criminal Identification 3888 West 5400 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84118, 801-965-4445. Hours: Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm. Your results will not be sent to USBE if you do not take this form with you to BCI.
5. A fee $15 must be paid at BCI to complete your fingerprinting.
6. Your Background check is good for three years.
7. Background check status will be recorded by the UITE at the University of Utah and instructors in future field-based classes will be made aware of your clearance status so that you do not have to complete the check more than once within a three year period.
IMPORTANT: You only have 30 days from the time you log into the USBE system to take your form to the BCI site and get your prints taken. If you do not complete the process within the 30 day time limit, you will be taken out of the USBE system and will have to repay both fees.
If a student does not pass the background check, you cannot complete the field requirements of this course.
The permission code request form for EDU 1010 for Spring 2018 will be made available on Thursday, November 2, 2017.
To receive a permission code, students must complete the required background check. Please follow the directions as listed here to complete the two-step background check: http://uite.utah.edu/background-check.php. The background check process can take 4-6 weeks to complete.
Students should note that background checks that cannot be verified by the Utah State Board of Education’s database will not be accepted.
If you have any questions, please contact Kristen Lindsay, firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-581-7158.